Thursday, September 14, 2006

Being a single parent is incredibly difficult, so avoid it if you can. (Though I do know from personal experience that sometimes it is the best choice.)

One of the things that I find particularly challenging is taking care of appointments -- mine and the kids -- while trying to work. Think about it -- annual wellness visits, twice annual dentist appointments, eye doctor visits, orthodontist (monthly or more). And that is just for two kids. Add to that my own appointments -- which this year included frequent visits to the surgeon who fixed my wrist and two weekly visits to the physical therapist -- and I felt like I was spending more time in doctors' waiting rooms than in my office. (I won't even go into vet appointments for the cats or school-related appointment. Who has time to work?)

Try and simplify. I did finally switch the kids to local dentist and doctors. Adding the almost two-hour commute to the kids' dentist appointments -- as much as we loved the dentist -- just did not seem worth it after awhile. I've also arrange it so that my folks have my consent to take the kids to appointments and get needed medical information in return.

For awhile I was trying to get all their appointments scheduled for the summer so that school was not disrupted too much. But ended up disrupting too much work in a short period of time. So know I try and spread the appointments out over the year.

Appointments will always be a part of parenting -- if I find more ways to make it easier, I will let you know.

1 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Appointments,... I see what you mean. I find, that in the Airline Industry, scheduling tends to be flexible with employee hours. I currently work four 10 hour days a week. Giving me one weekend and two weekdays off. Most I know, have some sort of a variation to that effect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home