Tuesday, August 22, 2006

"Why the blog?" I have been writing (in my head) "newspaper columns" about being a single mom for years. I was talking with a friend who suggested that I actually write them down and publish them in a blog. Maybe others would be able to relate...

I tend to see everything through my "single mom" filter. I do realize that as a single mom, I am not always doing things "singlehandedly." I am so fortunate to have the help and support of a ton of family and friends. But I also recognize that even with help, at the end of the day, I am on my own. Sometimes that is just fine -- other times it is incredibly overwhelming.

"Being a single parent is a full-time job." The way I see it, it is really three full-time jobs (at least). I work 40+ hours at the University in human resources to support my family and because I like it. Taking care of my kids is a second full-time job. Taking care of the house, yard and car is the third full-time job. No wonder I feel overwhelmed. When something has to give, it is usually the house/yard/car piece that goes. For me it is definitely the back yard, though I do try to keep up appearances with the front yard. No joke, there are weeds in the back yard taller than me -- and I am 6' tall!

I would love to hear what you have to say. Maybe there are some great tips out there for parenting "singlehandedly."

6 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think near-anonymous journaling can be very cathartic. I think you'll give others insight and you may be surprised at how this process may also change your view.

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job woman! The job of a single working mom is unmatched by any profession. Having spent a number of years as a SWM, I can relate. Yes, I dove "steam ahead" into my career and not only moved my career forward like I never imagined (well, I did imagine, but never dreamed I make it...) but I think it made me a better mom. We spend the majority of our day in a career that we enjoy so that makes us happier with our life. Having a marriage to work on is another full time job... so think of it as having one LESS job ;)

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Good for you! I think this is a great outlet!
Susan

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so awesome, T! I'm trying to figure out how to subscribe. I don't want to miss any!

Love you!

C.

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go, TB!! No one I have ever known has the gift of vocabulary quite as outstanding as you! I'll be a-watching & enjoying every word! Chelle

 
At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Mom raised four boys on her own, after I turned twelve. It was really tough for her. She worked as an RN for a nursing home in Westchester, New York, where I'm originally from. She worked the night shift, and sometimes worked double shifts. Being the oldest, it was my responsibility to help the family and take care of my younger brothers. It was hard for me, I rebelled, by staying out late with my friends. I was hardly around to help. I look back and I wish I could have been more responsible, more helpful. She needed all the help she could get. And I was hardly there. I say for all the older siblings out there in a similar situation. Help your Mother, be there for her, you will never regret it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home